One of my dearest friends is Indian. For years, we have marvelled at the similarities between our Greek and Indian families. Despite being miles away from each other, many of their values and traits are common.
Both cultures celebrate family and food, ideally at the same time. The process of cooking and sharing a meal is a skill that is handed down through generations.
Ever since I first went to her house and ate this dhal, I have wanted to learn how to make it for myself. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 2 cups of red lentils
- 1 onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of crushed garlic
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- ½ teaspoon of powdered cumin
- ½ – ¾ teaspoon of chilli powder (depending on how hot you like it)
- Olive oil
- Place lentils and 3½ cups of boiled water into a microwavable container.
- Microwave for 10 minutes or until the lentils have softened.
- Chop tomatoes and onions into fine pieces.
- Place the onions and garlic in a pot and cook until golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes and spices and stir.
- Add the cooked lentils and 1 cup of water.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with rice.
For more easy and delicious recipes follow girl in the white house!