A chef once said, “Dessert is like a feel-good song and the best ones make you dance.” The warmth and comfort that comes from a slice of a well-made galaktobouriko is akin to a feel-good song. My family love it so it doesn’t last long in our house!
Cooking this dessert occurs in three stages. First, you make the custard. Then, you bake it in the pastry and just before you are ready to serve, you pour a sugar syrup over the tray. The custard is delicious by itself, so you don’t necessarily have to proceed to the final two steps to make a yummy dessert.
For the custard pie
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of semolina
- 7 cups of milk
- 125g of butter (+ a little bit more for greasing the tray)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla essence
- 1 box of filo pastry
For the syrup
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 cups of water
To make the custard pie:
- Place sugar, semolina, milk and butter in a pot and heat. (Ensure that you continually stir the ingredients to avoid lumps in the custard and burning on the bottom of the pot.)
- Once the ingredients have combined and thickened into a creme, add the vanilla essence.
- Take the pot off the heat.
- Line the tray in which you are going to bake the pie with butter.
- Place four layers of filo pastry on the base of the tray.
- Pour the custard into the tray.
- Place four layers of filo pastry on top and curl at the edges so that the custard is completely enclosed.
- Melt a tablespoon of butter and wipe it across the surface of the pastry. (This will ensure you get a beautiful golden glow on top!)
- Cut the first layer or two of pastry into diamonds.
- Bake until golden brown.
To make the sugar syrup:
- Place the sugar and water in a small pot and heat until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour over the pie.
You can serve this dish hot or cold, with or without syrup. If you are serving it hot, I would recommend adding a scoop of ice cream on the side, whereas if you plan to serve it cold, I think it is best to add the syrup early and let it soak into the pie before you serve.
I hope you like this recipe as much as my family does.
Follow the girl in the white house for more delicious recipes!